I know what you’re thinking, did Shannon lose her boxing bestie and they now stare each other down at the gym? Hell no. Look at these happy two:
Super proud of Kiersten for passing her test to yellow last week which meant this photo commemorates our first class back as partners!! Who thought our friendship would take us down the path of being hookers? 😉 If that isn’t friendship, I don’t know what is?
Also a quick shout out to Ali for getting to green this past week too!! Now he’s back in the same level as his son so he can continue to embarrass the crap out of him in class. I can’t wait to be that mom!
So my arch-nemesis. It’s the hook. I can’t get this thing if my life depended on it. There’s so much happening in my head:
- Swing around, not too far out
- Land with a straight arm, little bit of wrist curved down
- Elbow level, not up, not down
- Load and keep the elbow tight to the body before throwing
- Rotate the hips to develop the power
- Weight on the front foot to load
- Weight off the front foot to throw
- Turn the left foot enough for rotation but don’t over rotate
Gee, anything else?
Sometimes I find before class my best practice happens when I have my headphones in and I’m just finding my own rhythm and forgetting about the laundry list above. But the second you put that target in front of me I panic.
My wise owl husband (“professional athlete”) had some good points. I don’t learn like most people so why am I frustrated that I’m not picking it up quickly. And I need to break down the movements into little chunks and then piece together the chunks later.
I was swinging away at the heavy bag the other day and Coach Nick had the best comment.
He says how’s the hook going?
I say it could be better, it’s been a month and I’m still not getting it.
He snickers and replies, do you like instant coffee?
Me, ummm nope?
He says.. don’t be instant coffee. Don’t put the powder in, water in, and stir with your finger. Some things take time to be really good. *me picturing my snobby french press in my kitchen*
Pressure’s on though, and my green test is only 3 weeks away. 3 weeks!! Where did the time go? I’m 24 classes down, 12 more to go. The hook is so important in the test and being able to not only throw it but defend it and then counter off of it.. it’s why I’m stressing. This means lots of work at home to just focus, head down and make sure I’m getting ready. I know 2 guys also testing at the end of the month so pressure is on to nail it.
The endurance section is going to be quite tough too:
- 2 x 2 minute skipping sessions (multiple types of footwork)
- 2 x 2 minute heavy bag sessions
- 130 jabs and 130 crosses in 2 minutes
- 2 x 1.5 minute plyometrics on the heavy bag
- 7 x 1.5 minute arm calisthenics
- Ab work
- Plank (I think 2.5 mins?)
Which leads me into my update on nutrition. It’s now been 2 weeks since I tightened up on my eating and most importantly cut out alcohol. And no, I haven’t cheated once!!!
I miss you…….
Hehe kidding, I’m actually good. Want to know why?
- I feel freaking amazing, so full of energy from wake up to bedtime (even that 3-4PM crash that usually happens)
- I don’t feel hungry, I’m eating enough and feel fueled
- I’m sleeping like a baby. For me falling asleep is impossible and I wake up often in the middle night… so this is gold
- Waking up refreshed… likely because of the killer sleep!
- I don’t know if I’ve lost weight (since not stepping on a scale was part of the deal) but I feel slimmer, toned, and overall sexy
I know I know, it’s only 2 weeks down. So we’ll talk more after I’m done a full month, that will be the true test I think. But so far, I’ve made it through Halloween with zero candy. Go me go! Now… to make it through the Christmas season… yikes. Let’s just say this is probably the best time of year to do this because as everyone is slugging back booze and baked goods, I’m swearing them off.
We’ll see who’s laughing in January 😉
Not to mention, how much more fit I’ll feel in Jan/Feb (knock on wood) making my way towards Blue. Crap, did I jinx that?
And no, I haven’t tried to sneak on the unicorn dress to see if I’ve made progress. Although Steve did throw down a challenge for me to wear it in Vegas in December instead of him taking me out for New Years.
We’ll see…. I feel like he’s just being lazy on making New Years plan 😉